RiverRide is composed of steel-reinforced concrete pontoon segments developed by Marinetek, a global leader in floating structures (marina, breakwater and floating roads).
Design is inspired by Chicago’s classic bridge architecture, nautical design cues and understated elegance.
How will it be built?
- Pathway segments produced offsite (Port of Chicago and other)
- ADA-compliant land access ramps and gates installed adjacent to bridges, public parks and other points.
- Pathway segments floated into place, connected to adjacent segments and secured with pilings driven in riverbed.
- Solar panels above each segment power lighting, precipitation-activated awnings and heating conduit embedded in the segment surface to prevent icing and snow build-up.
- Segment guardrails designed to minimize injury during a fall and snow plowing into river.